Monday, January 17, 2011

My Survival Dream of Faith & Donation

Getting married is a dream many women strive for, fight for, and live for. My dream came true July 18th, 2009, however this dream here, I strive for, I fought for, and today I am living it to the fullest.

On May 17th, 2007 the dream of me ever getting married to anyone felt shattered and very far away from becoming true. At the age of 31, I was diagnosed with "Breast Cancer." It was a day I will always remember and will never forget for the rest of my life. It was a day of shock, of worries, of fear, of confusion, and even loneliness. However, there was one thing that I did not fear through all this. It was my religious belief. After having the news delivered to me, I turned to our father god and I prayed, I prayed, and I prayed. I asked him to help me survive this; help me overcome this obstacle with faith, with strength, with belief, and with survival. I prayed loudly because I wanted (God) to hear my pain and my plead of life because I knew deep inside I had more years not only to live, but to be grateful for as well.

Four weeks later, my surgery was scheduled and I lived through it and survived it. After the surgery my body went through a dramatic change. My body of course was not the same. Mentally this type of change/surgery can be very dramatic to anyone. In this day and age we are lucky to have the surgeons we have because through the dramatic change, there is reconstruction. I feel very grateful for that, however, even through the reconstruction, at the end of the day, it is still a big change for anyone.

After the surgery, there were moments I would find myself in deep thoughts and I used to ask myself, will I ever find anyone to love me now after all this? My body has just gone through a change and even though it will get repaired and look brand new again, it will never be the same. There was only one person that knew the answer of me finding a man that will love me unconditionally, and it was God. He had a beautiful plan for me which including me meeting the man that I married on July 18th, 2009.

Just when I thought I was ready to have the reconstruction process begin, doctors found a tumor on my other breast. As scared I was, I did not allow fear to take over me. I said to myself, I already went through this; I will make it again, again, and again.

After my second diagnose and surgery, I met my husband a few months after at our work place. While I was getting to know him, he had sat me down one day and told me his mother had died of cancer about 8 months before I met him. Now mind you, I had not been honest with him about what I had been going through, and after he told me about his mother, telling him my story brought fear inside me. I thought by telling him what I had been through, he would change his mind of getting to know me and possibly developing a relationship. Well, I was wrong, because once I told him my experience, he looked at me and said 'Thank you for telling me. I will always be here for you whenever you need me, I am not going anywhere.

Since that day, we developed a strong relationship and on August 27, 2008 after my last treatment, he proposed to me. I went through my treatments with him and my sisters by my side. I believe god never left my side. He gave me a second chance at life with wonderful opportunities and blessings.

So here I am sharing my survival story. Being diagnose with cancer and surviving it is a true blessing. Today because I feel that I was given another chance at life, and I was able to find true love after my survival of cancer. I am offering and donating my wedding gown to any bride to be who has survived cancer, or is in need of a beautiful wedding gown. With my wedding gown, a jewelry store has offered to donate a pair of earrings and a necklace to go with the wedding gown. Again I turned to you (bride to be) because I am paying forward my survival story and my faith which I acknowledge as a true blessing from God.

My wedding gown to me means faith, survival, and a belief that happiness can only come to those who believe in surviving all life experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment